Your Medical Device Consulting Group …we safely navigate you through the troubled MDR sea …
The Medical Device Regulation (MDR)
The transition period MDD to MDR has ended on May 26th, 2021. Now, the new Medical Devices Regulation (MDR) (EU) 2017/745 is fully enforced and replaces the previous Medical Device Directive (MDD) 93/42/EEC.
In Germany, the new Medizinprodukterecht-Durchführungsgesetz (MPDG) has replaced the former Medizinproduktegesetz (MPG). The MPDG is intended as a complement to the MDR.
As a help for implementation of the MDR requirements the Medical Device Coordination Group (MDCG) was established in accordance with article 103 of the MDR. Not all planned guidance documents are already available, therefore all economic operators are advised to keep an eye on the actual situation of these documents.
Under the MDR, medical device companies will have to:
You as manufacturer, importer, or distributors have to be aware of your enhanced role and your additional obligations and responsibilities!
Among many novelties introduced by the MDR, one focus is set on cybersecurity. The MDR requires the manufacturers to develop and manufacture their products in accordance with the state of the art taking into account the principles of risk management, including information security, as well as to set out minimum requirements concerning IT security measures, including protection against unauthorized access. This requirements for cybersecurity must be ensured throughout the entire life cycle of the medical device.
Another focus of the MDR is the technical documentation and the technical documentation on Post Market Surveillance, which have been expanded and have now more detailed requirements.
Our network services
We – as a consulting network – could support you as our potential client in:
For the products already CE marked, updates on clinical safety and post-market surveillance for instance will be needed.
2. Fachtagung des
7. Dezember 2023 | Online via Microsoft Teams
2. Fachtagung des MDR Competence Netzwerks
„First Aid“ im V-Modell der Medizintechnik
Aktuelle Praxisthemen rund um wesentliche
V&V Aktivitäten in der Konformitätsbewertung
Consulting Services & Experts
Please select one out of the four categories to identify your potential network partner.
- Clinical Trials
- Clinical Evaluations (MEDDEV 2.7.1)
- Toxicology Assessments
- Biocompatibility Assessments
- DIN EN ISO 14155
- SAE Management
- PMCF Studies
- Medical Device Law (Medizin Produkte Recht)
- European Medical Device Law
- Corporate Law
- Due Diligence Questions
- Finance & Strategy
- Commercial & Administration
- Regulatory Affairs
- Quality Management Systems
- DIN EN ISO 13485
- Life Cycle Risk Management
- Usability Assesments
- DIN EN ISO 62366
- DIN EN ISO 14971
- Cyber Security Risk Management
- Cybersecurity (CS) Training for medical device manufacturers / Conformity Assessment Body Services
- Product-safety training
Uwe H. Wallstab
Regulatory Affairs, Life Cycle Management, Clinical Application, Post Market Clinical Follow
Christoph R. Manegold
Initiator and network administration (RA, F&E Management, Innovation Management, Technical Due Diligence)
Dr. Jens Waldmann
Design transfer and technical documentation
Volker G. Sauerbaum
Finance, Commercial and Administration
Regulatory Affairs (MDD/MDR)
Medical Device Law, Corporate Law, M&A
Project and Quality management (ISO 13485), Technical documentation
Prof. Dr. Paul Borm
Toxicology and Nanoparticle Research
Dr. Stephan Joeken
Clinical studies and literature-based clinical evaluations
Dr. Gerhard Pohlmann
Clinic, Biocompatibility & Inhaler
Dr. Raphael Spreitzer
Cybersecurity (CS) Training for medical device manufacturers / Conformity Assessment Body Services
Dr. Andreas Dumrath
Head of Business Unit Medical
Areas of Expertise
Nanoconsult is a scientific consultancy firm providing solutions and strategic approaches to complex toxicological or regulatory problems. We are recognized for our integrity, professionalism and ability to cross sectors and build bridges. Our company value is commitment to client service
With high quality know-how and network. Competence area’s:
- Drugs & Devices
- Business support
Nanoconsult is in close cooperation with the business unit:
Translational Biomedical Engineering
of the Fraunhofer ITEM (Institute for Toxicology and Experimental Medicine)
mdXperts based in Wernigerode, Germany and Dublin, Ireland is a regulatory consultancy providing analytical and strategic services to the international medical devices and medical technology market. We support manufacturers and economic operators in the medical device life cycle management, the medical device approval and clearance process in Europe (European Union, Switzerland, und United Kingdom), international product registration and in the development of quality management systems.
We provide services concerning medical device life cycle from the product concept via development to the post market period. Company supports manufacturer in device development in a design control regime (design control, medical device risk management, human factor engineering) to ensure that resulting medical device are comprehensive verified and validated and meeting objectively the European und US American regulatory requirements.
We have comprehensive experience in the areas of development, approval, production, marketing, clinical applications of medical technologies, in particular technologies for extracorporeal blood circulation, blood treatment, infusion therapy and similar.
Support of medical device projects. Advice on the implementation and development of quality management systems, preparation of CE documentation and support in approval procedures, as well as all regulatory matters.
The business unit Translational Biomedical Engineering offers many years of experience in the development of medical devices – specifically neuro-implants and medical aerosolizers – including testing and testing scenarios, safety and risk assessment.
AC Aircontrols (Consulting desk)
International R&D service provider, producer and supplier of technical innovations for the medical devices industry.
Consulting within the topics of:
- R&D Management
- QM Systems (ISO, GMP)
- Regulatory affairs (RA)
- Technical documentation
- Verification & Validation
- Commercial, Administration & Finance
Ralph Schäfer, Lawyer
Legal advice and guidance for the MedTech industry, economically evaluated: MDR, Borderline Products, Corporate, Transactions, M&A
MT Consult – Consulting Engineers for Medical Technology – is an international R&D service provider, regulatory affairs expert group and innovation/business development consulting firm exclusively for the medical device industry. We are supporting the innovation-, development-, and product approval processes of our customers mainly for high risk applications and for life-sustaining medical devices.
adjutem covers the missing link between product development and serial production. Our services include design transfer consultancy for both, small companies new to the medical device market as well as global players with a long product history.
We are specialized in class IIa, IIb and III devices with strict design and document control requirements. Our focus is on single-use products with complex functionality where we support our clients to transfer product design to mass production in-house or, in most cases, at leading contract manufacturers.
Our consultants have application-specific knowledge in neurosurgery, cataract surgery, ENT, ventilation, drug delivery and implants so that we are familiar to build-up technical files and design dossiers in these fields.
CERES employs scientists, engineers, statisticians, and clinicians with years of international experience in relevant clinical, pre-clinical, and technical fields. In cooperation with physicians in several European nations, we conduct successful clinical studies and conclusive clinical evaluations for medical devices.
Bureau Veritas CPS Germany GmbH
Bureau Veritas CPS Germany GmbH, Schwerin is an international testing laboratory providing state-of-the-art test capabilities in the field of medical devices and beyond. We are well recognized for our outstanding test know-how, equipment and performance. Our focus is:
- Chemical Characterization ➝ MDR, ISO 10993
- Biocompatibility evaluation of breathing gas pathways ➝ ISO 18562
- Sterilization residues ➝ ISO 10993-7
- Particle measurement
Training and Conformity Assessment Services
Cybersecurity (CS) Training for medical device manufacturers
- Introduction into CS, regulatory requirements across main markets and related standards (FDA, MDR, MDCG 2019-16, UL 2900, IEC TR 60601-4-5)
- CS Threat Analysis & Risk Management for Medical Device Manufacturers (STRIDE, ISO 14971, AAMI TIR 57)
- CS Post-Market Activities (FDA, AAMI TIR 97, MDCG 2019-16)
- Secure HW/SW Development Lifecycle
- Secure design & coding, vulnerability assessment & testing
- Communication & network security
Conformity Assessment Body Services
- CS testing and assessment of components and devices
- CS related pre-testing services against proprietary specifications or relevant standards and guidance documents
- Independent CS related conformity testing and assessments against relevant standards and guidance documents
- Independent CS related conformity testing and reviews as requested in MDR (REGULATION (EU) 2017/745) Annex VII 4.5.3 f)
Information & Training
Products already CE marked under MDD can still be sold, as long as their granted CE mark is valid or at latest until May 26th 2025, depending on the product. As classification rules changed, some products formerly considered as Class I or even not in the scope of the directive or under auto-certification process might be now upgraded to higher classes for which certification by a NB is required.
Some manufacturer still must perform proper due diligence to adapt their regulatory strategy and quality systems accordingly.
For example, as requirements on clinical data from equivalent devices have increased significantly compared to the requirements of MDD they are becoming less and less accepted. Therefore, the collection of own data, like a Post Market Clinical Follow-Up (PMCF) study and/or other clinical data, became more and more important and have to be implemented in an appropriate PMS system.
Requirements for the PMS system documents also became stricter and more extensive in general, like:
- PMS plan (needed for all classes)
- PMS report (needed for class I)
- Periodic Safety Update Report (PSUR) (needed for class IIa, IIb, and III)
- Summary of Safety and Clinical Performance (SSCP) (needed for class III and implantable devices)
- PMCF plan and report (needed for all classes)
These documents have to be kept updated proactively during the whole product lifetime.
- IEC 60601 ed.3.2 – Important Updates and Considerations to be prepared for testing
- EMC Requirements for Active Medical Devices/Systems according to IEC 60601-1-2 Ed. 4 / Ed. 4.1
Module – General Introduction of IEC 60601-1-2 ed.4 / ed. 4.1 requirements
Module – How to setup an EMC Testplan for IEC 60601-1-2 ed.4 / ed. 4.1
Module – Risk Management Requirements from IEC 60601-1-2 ed.4 / ed. 4.1
- Product Testing and Certification – Requirements for international market access
- Introduction to International Wireless Product Certification
- Integration of wireless modules – EU Requirements
- Online Crash Course: CE Declaration for Electronic Products
- Product safety requirements for electrical equipment for measurement, control, and laboratory use according to IEC 61010-1
- Product safety requirements for Audio/video, information and communication technology equipment according to IEC 62368-1